Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"Learning to Trust"

While at the library doing research a few weeks ago, I picked up the book "Learning to Trust" by Marilyn Watson and Laura Ecken. I had heard great things about it a while back, but never did get around to reading it. I was at the library doing homework after a trying day at school, and the subtitle seemed fitting: "Transforming Difficult Elementary Classrooms through Developmental Discipline." Lots of good stuff inside -- Ecken's two years with the same group of students is a compelling read. What I found most valuable is her sharing of real-life situations and how she talked to/dealt with students. Reading about her struggles was strangely encouraging. It reminded me that I'm not the only person still looking for a balance in how she deals with students, and how to work with them successfully as individuals and a group. Probably raised more questions than it answered, but I'm looking at that as a good thing.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment