Monday, August 24, 2009

Trying to get it right


So I don't make a good draconian. Nor will I rank among the teachers in my school who make students quake in their shoes and fall into a wide-eyed silence. But I'm trying to turn my deficits into assets.
After a week or two of hectoring, nagging, lecturing, scolding and the like, I decided over the weekend (thanks to the frank and challenging advice of a mentor) to let the students formulate the rules instead of forcing (and often failing) to have students follow my set of rules.
We embarked on a loooong class meeting. We emerged at the end with 8 rules, a layout of consequences, and an agreed-upon "quiet signal." It was interesting to see that students understood what aspects of classroom behavior were prevalent, but not useful (incessant note-passing one of the main examples). Students autographed the chart and it occupies a place of honor next to the whiteboard.
How did our day go? We had one of the nicest language arts lessons yet, reading "Kaipo and the Mighty Ahi." Students were focused and found meaning in the story. The boys, however, had lots of trouble settling themselves after recess and lunch. I ended up putting my hand on individuals' shoulders, making eye contact, and asking, "Are you ready to come in?" to get them ready to be back in the classroom.
Here's hoping this is the first step to fostering self-management in my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment