Thursday, August 27, 2009

mysteries of boy dynamics

Thursday is a happy day, because it means Friday is bearing down on us fast.
Had 7 families drop by for Open House, which is less than my grade-level colleagues, but more than I expected. They wiped out the chocolate-chip cookies. The families enjoyed looking for their child's picture and it was a great way to touch base informally with some of the parents.
Yesterday was a trying day, discipline-wise. Some boy-group dynamics kicked in and once they get distracted, it's arduous to get them settled. I ended up having after-school talks with four students. When they are in class and cavorting around the room instead of doing math, they are all smiles, trading glances with their male co-conspirators. Get them alone after school, and they will meekly tell you that they need to listen to directions, participate and raise their hands. Except for one, who trots out the correct answers but has a smirk on his face the whole time. I had to restrain my Inner Crotchety Teacher who would have blasted the smirk off his face by bellowing, "I don't like your attitude, young man!" Ahem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment