Friday, August 28, 2009

detective work

A teacher by necessity wears many hats. But I didn't know a detective's hat was one of them.
As I've been wrangling with boy dynamics, I've gotten increasingly worried about one of the participants. Neo gets extremely frustrated when reminded to sit down, get out his work, etc., and the look of sadness and anger on his face worries me. While his two co-conspirators also express frustration, they don't have the same sad and angry look.
Neo didn't get his homework tablet signed today (a daily requirement). I went through my usual list of questions: was mom or an adult home when he got back from school so he could get it signed right away? He said: yes, mom is home. Then he added that mom was always busy washing clothes or taking care of the baby, and would it be OK for aunty to sign it instead?
Having done a home visit, I know that there are a number of cousins and extended family in the home. It occurred to me this evening that maybe Neo is feeling a little neglected by mom, and that could have a great deal to do with his sadness and frustration.
It also occurred to me that while I've had a number of talks with Neo this week, I haven't asked him why he's so unhappy, and about what I can do to help him.
That will be the first order of business on Monday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment