Tuesday, February 8, 2011

crash landing

     It's always rather deflating to score the constructed responses I am required to give at the start and end of each quarter to assess student learning.
    Necessity has me tackling a pile of responses tonight, and it's depressing work. I realize -- again -- how little my students understand when they read. Even the ones I consider my better readers fail to go back to the text to find answers, reread for understanding, etc. They struggle to pull out details and give vague answers that prevent them from getting the full points for an answer.
    I feel like I've been teaching and modeling these strategies since quarter 1, but if there's been a gain, I don't see it yet.
     I guess there is a silver lining to this experience. This was the pre-test, so I can use what I see on the test to help them grow. I can find similar passages that will let them practice the key skills needed, and guide them in writing so they can experience for themselves writing a successful, clear response.
     *Sigh*
     It's still tough to see how far they have to go, but the only thing to do is take that first step, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment