Sunday, January 30, 2011

crackdown

    This quarter Puakenikeni and I decided to crack down on the homework slackers. In the morning after homework check, I post the names of those who did not turn in the work. Students have 3 days to turn in the missing work and get their names crossed off. If  a students' name goes on the list 3 times, they will be kept back from cafeteria duty (a privilege fourth-graders cherish).
    The kids were serving lunch in the caf on Tuesday. The night before I looked over my lists and figured out I had 7 students, all boys, who needed to stay back. After I walked the class to the caf, 7 rather glum boys followed me back to the room.  They filled out a worksheet that helped them think about why they don't do homework and had to write down concrete steps for getting it done. Then I posted the missing assignments and they had to start working.
    Overall, they did very well. There wasn't any whining (I had made sure to clearly explain the policy when it started). The majority applied themselves and got some backwork done.
     Disappointed that they are still not doing homework! Will have to remind them that if they want their name crossed off, they can stay in at recess and get it done that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment