Wednesday, February 16, 2011

little blue car

     I miss my little blue car.
     It was just another Friday morning, around 6:30 a.m. I was zipping along the highway as usual. Puakenikeni and I have discussed before the automaticity of our morning commutes.
    I miss that automaticity right now. While I'm not so anxious that I've got a death grip on the steering wheel, I am a bit apprehensive during my morning drive. Not the best way to start a busy day.
    I am thankful, however, for many things. While I did have some neck stiffness and soreness and a headache for the first two days, that cleared up. I am thankful that no one got injured. I am thankful for the very kind Freeway Service Patrol worker who exclaimed "Teachers are the best people in the world!" when he learned what I did for a living, then patted me on the shoulder and offered a little reassurance. Also so appreciative of Orchid, who took care of things for me at school, and my colleague who whipped up a sub plan. Yet another co-worker happened to pass by, noticed the accident, and took the time to call and check that I was OK and offer to put together a sub plan.
    That being said, I still miss my little blue car, which saw me through two career changes, traveled across the Pacific with me when I moved back, and served as a tangible symbol of the financial independence I gained after college. Each time I get into my rented Ford Focus, with the steering wheel that vibrates once you hit a certain speed, and a few weird squeaks and whines, I realize how comfortable I was in my car.
     All in all, though, I realize how fortunate I was that Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment