Tuesday, March 30, 2010

aftermath

     The day after I send home report cards is always interesting.
     In Shorty's report card, I wrote that while she is improving in explaining her thinking, she cannot put info from the text into her own words.
    Shorty glumly came up to me today and announced that last night she had to sit and read, then she was required to write down all the words she didn't know.  Then, mom required more quality time with a dictionary than most fifth-graders enjoy. She also reported that mom wanted to talk to me on the phone, either today or tomorrow. (I <3 parents like this. They read the report card and take action on their end to make sure extra practice/work gets done).
     Seattle pouted at his desk yesterday about his report card, saying he "didn't feel good." I told him that he could turn it around and make quarter 4 a great quarter. He came back today to say mom was really mad, but that she had promised not to show the report card to stepdad. I wonder whether the report card is the reason Seattle popped up outside the classroom at 6:55 a.m. today? I did remind students to show up early for the first day of testing, but 6:55 is a personal record for Seattle.
      Speaking of testing, really proud of my kids today ... I saw everyone trying so hard. I know even my kids who struggle were trying their very best. Gotta make sure to cheer them on as we go through the testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment