Tuesday, February 2, 2010

the P in P.E. doesn't stand for pain?

     The kids were disbelieving.
     As the time drew closer, they started drawing my attention to the clock.  When I asked them to prep their desks for guided reading, they gathered their materials in the blink of an eye.
     The big occasion? I took my students out for P.E. for the first time since the grade level stopped teaching resources on rotation.
     Seattle peppered me with questions beforehand: "Are we playing volleyball? Basketball? Or can Dimples bring out his football?"
     (Ah, ye of much faith. I have two left feet and a minimal knowledge of sports.)
     The kids bounded out to the field. I noticed the grass was wet, and thoughtlessly asked, "Is it too wet for P.E.?" This question was met with a collective, fervent "no."
     We (teacher included) warmed up by jogging a lap around the field, which drew wondering comments from the class. As one student said, "The teachers never run with us."  This teacher, however, needs to kick up her physical activity level, and what's better than working and exercising at the same time?
     After our lap, I busted out the frisbees and we spent a happy half-hour jumping, catching, and rolling on the ground (last activity optional, depending on your gender and affinity for dirt). The frisbees were actually dog frisbees, procured from Old Navy for a great price. I believe they are a bit smaller and softer than the type made for people. Some were emblazoned with the word "FETCH!," but I don't think the students even noticed.
     I realized that playing with the students was lots of fun, and a great way to build relationships as well. I made sure to praise students like Dimples for dramatic catches. His white polo ended up streaked with dirt -- he could have starred in a laundry-detergent commercial by the end of P.E.
    While I am not qualified to teach students the intricacies of football, basketball, volleyball, or most sports, I think organizing a game of frisbee tag or ultimate frisbee is within reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment