Wednesday, May 18, 2011

softies

      I decided to have the kids put together a very simple memory book for Puakenikeni. They got to write about why they liked her as a teacher, what they learned from her, etc. Still gotta shoot photos of her class and try to throw it all together this weekend.
     Anyhow, I am trying to keep the book a surprise, and I thought it would be nice if the kids could present the book and sing Uncle Kracker's "Smile" as a thank you. Keep in mind, Puakenikeni is the musical one. She plays ukulele, she taught the students to chant Hawaiian oli, and she taught them their May Day hula. My musical talents? Ummmm ... I can download the song from iTunes, print up the lyrics, and press play. It does not help that I'm hoarse from being sick last week and really can't sing.
     I jumped in and taught the students the song today. Our AC is broken, so we've been keeping the windows and doors open. Since Puakenikeni's room is adjacent, we closed up the room just for practice to keep the song a surprise. Despite my lack of musical instruction experience, the class was enthusiastic about singing. I was surprised when Quarterback sat down and put his head on his desk after participating in the first few sing-throughs. Thinking about the song lyrics and Puakenikeni made him cry. I had a few other folks who got teary, too.
    I joked with them that I will bring a box of Kleenex along for the performance, but that they should try to hold off their tears until after they sing the song.
    I am reminded again of how good-hearted our students are.

No comments:

Post a Comment