Tuesday, May 17, 2011

need a remote control

     Every day we get closer to summer, the volume seems to go up at school. I'm doing read-alouds, giving instructions, etc., in a much louder voice than normal. And given that I have what the VP once described as a "4-inch voice," I am rather hoarse at the end of the day. It didn't help that I spent recess duty yelling at kids "STAY OUT OF THE DITCH!" and "DO NOT RUN IN THE FIRE LANE!"
    We do have a wireless audio system installed in our rooms that will project our voice from a thingie you can sling around your neck. I know the first-grade teachers use theirs regularly. I haven't used mine so far. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't see how we teach children to be quiet and settle themselves when we can basically talk over them and turn up the volume. But, given that I'm afraid my hoarseness will lead to laryngitis, I may have to use it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment