Monday, September 6, 2010

long road to order

    Is organization the secret to life?
    I don't think so, but I think it would rank in the top 10 list, definitely.
    I say this as a person who has been chronically disorganized for most of her life. I'm not the lose-my-car-keys-and-wallet-every-week type, but I do have trouble keeping things orderly. I believe it is an infernal combination of having too much stuff and not knowing how to organize my physical space for maximum orderliness. Or any kind of orderliness, for that matter.
     I realized last year that my lack of organization affected my students. So I spent $50 at Pricebusters to buy each kid a plastic desk tray that holds designated school supplies. (Alas, most of the kids have the bad habit of dumping random things into the tray, but I do make them clean it out from time to time). I also set up a file box for makeup work, a designated place to get a pencil, etc. and I believe the students are better organized as a result.
    Last year the backpack I lugged to and from work was always bursting with papers, all mixed up and not tended to as quickly as they should be. So this year I hit the office supply warehouse and bought a bunch of colorful, sturdy, plastic files to hold papers for each subject and class I teach. I'm still working out how to use them best, but at least it's a step up from the messy, heavy pile of papers I used to drag around.
    The system is not perfect, but it is better than last year. And that's enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment