Wednesday, August 25, 2010

update

I've been itching to write about this year's bunch, but until someone adds an eighth day to the week, a detailed post will have to wait. For now, some quick news:
  1. New-teacher rule #33332: Even upper-elementary students have a fascination with Band-aids. I made the mistake of bringing a box of colorful ones to school (ran out of the standard-issue type), and was annoyed to find two boys (uninjured) sporting band-aids they had filched out of the box. Rookie mistake was to hand one student the box because he needed one. In the future, I will dispense.
  2. It makes me sad when one of my students (a problematic one, to be true) gets bounced back to me one morning. Let me add that he was bounced back to me without the courtesy of a phone call -- just showed up at my door. I had to call his sixth-grade teacher to find out what she wanted me to do with him. I ended up talking to him, providing him some materials for his simple homework assignment, then sending him on his way about an hour later. Sigh. I know she was frustrated with him (I was last year!) but it makes me sad that he went through that on the 10th day of school. Guess it's a good reminder for me to be patient with my own students ... 

No comments:

Post a Comment