Sunday, August 29, 2010

lessons for the teacher

   A month into the school year, and I've already identified who in my room will need special care and attention.
   Last year, my class included Berry, who struggled to deal with his anger. This year, Lion is showing similar problems.
   I took the class out for their very first P.E. session on Friday, which was the cause of much excitement. While we were getting set up, Lion kicked Ant. So hard that Ant was doubled over. When I questioned Lion, he claimed that Ant had said something like "Let's play rough" and that was why he kicked him.
   Lion got agitated and began scooping up small rocks from the ground. He threw a few at the class.
   One of those classic monents when you realize you have to do something quickly, but what? We're in the middle of the field, with no easy access to a phone. To get to a phone to call the counselors, I'd have to leave the class on the field. But I did not want to leave Lion there too, especially when he had a handful of rocks.
    My friend's classroom is closest to the field, so I decided to see if I could use her phone. While I was reluctant to take Lion into a room full of kids, I knew it'd be worse to leave him alone. It took some coaxing in a very soft voice, but I got him to move away from the class and follow me to my colleague's room.
    We weren't far from the door when I looked up and saw the principal walking in our direction. Hallelujah. Admin carries walkie-talkies. I asked if she could call the counselors, but she ended up talking to him herself.
     I'm wondering what lesson I need to learn. These children who are struggling with a volcanic anger are being placed in my path. How do I help them? And what am I supposed to learn from working with them? 
    

1 comment:

  1. I feel for you.
    This year I have a student with Oppositional Defiant Disorder. No problems yet, but I am sort of walking on glass every time I deal with him.
    I think this is where the commando training is supposed to kick in.

    ReplyDelete