Wednesday, September 23, 2009

one itty-bitty good thing

     One of my mentor teacher's suggestions was to focus on positive behavior using a jar and marbles. For every positive thing noticed, the teacher would drop one marble in the jar. Marbles cannot be taken out, only added. When the jar is filled, students get a little treat.

     I debuted the jar today, with pompoms in place of the marbles. I told students that we were going to have a new classroom job -- "good-news collector." At the end of the day, the good-news collector would ask students to raise their hands and share what positive things had happened. It got a bit noisy today, but it was nice to hear students sharing about how they helped someone or someone helped them. I think this will also help me focus on the good things; I feel like I've spent too much time looking for bad behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment