Friday, September 4, 2009

a little smile

Pilot moved here from the Philippines. He is extremely quiet and shy; a few weeks ago he refused to speak when I had students introduce themselves to a new classmate. But bit by bit, he seems to be getting a little more comfortable. Recently, I had students working in pairs to study vocabulary words. Each pair had to present their word to the class. I was surprised and pleased that Pilot read aloud the word's definition. It was in a very soft voice, but for him to speak at all in front of the class was a big step. I think it definitely helped that I had him work with his seatmate, Teddy. Teddy is gentle, helpful and friendly; I deliberately seated them together so Pilot would have someone to watch out for him.
Another sign of progress: In those first days of school, Pilot didn't smile at all. About a week ago, I instituted my hug-handshake-high five exit policy, as a way of closing the day and connecting with each student. He's started flashing a little smile as he shakes my hand on the way out the door.
The 3 Musketeers are still a handful, but repeated talks with me, the counselors (and some detention) may be helping them. I noticed today that they are reminding each other to "listen to the teacher." I remind myself each morning to be patient but firm and consistent, to be encouraging, to not give up. It feels like I ask the same questions over and over again, questions such as: What were you doing just now? (talking loudly without raising my hand, not listening, playing around). What are we as a class doing right now? (vocabulary practice, math, reading aloud). What different choice can you make next time? (ignore my friend who wants me to play around with him, listen to directions, ask for help if I don't know what to do). I strive to tell them that the work is doable for them, that I will help if they will try their best, and that I know they can make good choices. They do respond well to one-to-one assistance; I resorted to that today with Neo, because it looked like he wasn't going to do any vocabulary practice without it. It's just tough to figure out how to help all of your kids equally; I have some who need just as much academic help, but admittedly don't get as much because they don't have disruptive behaviors.  If there's some magic algorithm for figuring out how to help everyone equally, I'd love to know what it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment