Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Fudge

    Every afternoon I read to the kids. Our latest selection was "Tales of a Fourth-Grade Nothing." It always takes some time for them to develop interest, but I think they really enjoyed the story because many of them can relate to the travails of having a younger sibling. Whenever I announced read-aloud time, Pirate would announce, "That's my favorite book!"
    Every book has its turning point, the hook that snags my students' attention. In Roald Dahl's "Matilda," my students were enthralled by the Trunchbull's action-packed visit to Matilda's classroom. In "Fourth-Grade Nothing," it was the infamous party for Fudge and his 3-year-old friends. It had enough gross-out kid humor to capture their attention.
     Not sure what book we're going to start tomorrow ... they seemed receptive to reading the sequel "Fudge-a-Mania," but maybe I'll let them vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment