Tuesday, March 1, 2011

things I love

   I love my little bell. It's the kind you press down on to ring, the type you find on store counters everywhere.
   When I started working with small groups, volume control for the students working on their own was a problem. I let students know that if I rang the bell, that was their signal to quiet down. If I rang it twice in a day, the class would lose recess.
    The lovely thing about this is that I don't need to stop working with my small group to quiet down the entire classroom. I ring the bell and a hush descends.  I ring it a second time and there is a collective groan. I will occasionally issue a sharp reminder after ringing the bell, but I've realized it's not necessary. The bell is effective on its own.
    One mystery of classroom management solved, 10,000 more to go ...

No comments:

Post a Comment