Wednesday, April 28, 2010

not that anyone's counting

     17 days of instruction left.
     It's been an interesting few days. Most of fifth grade jumped on a bus Monday to go camping. Because many of my kids didn't go, I am housing the camp stay-backs. 17 of my own kids + 13 students from two other classrooms = a trepidation-causing roster of 30.
     I don't condone people keeping their kids home on a school day, but it appears that a few of my kids are staying home for the duration of camp. This makes the numbers a little easier to handle.
     I figured that the camp stay-backs should have a little fun, too. So on Monday we made kites and flew them (then read a short article about why kites work). Today for art we made Matisse-inspired name panels. Tomorrow, I've invited the other teacher who didn't go to camp to bring over her 30 kids for a science lesson. We'll squish into my room and make parfaits that let students see how aquifers work. (Gotta love any science lesson that involves ice cream and crushed cookies).
     I wish I had some grand reflections as my first year in the classroom speeds to a close, but all I can think of right now is how tired I am and how much I'm looking forward to summer.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment