Sunday, January 24, 2010

falling into change headlong

     Guided reading debuts tomorrow as the new structure for our language arts block.
     Yikes.
     This is all thanks to the speedy and hard work of Orchid and her partner in crime.
     It's 8 p.m., and I have yet to look over the schedule for tomorrow. The only thing I know for certain is that I'll be, as usual, winging much of the 2-hour block. A world of chaos lies outside even the best-written lesson plans and schedules.
     I went over my expectations (basically, do your work and don't run around the room for the whole 2 hours) on Friday. I printed up the expectations as a contract; by signing, students agreed to the expectations and to accept any consequences for breaking rules.
     One student, Berry, flat-out refused to sign. Motivation is a problem for him. While he's always been reluctant to start working, he's never vocalized his resistance. Lately, however, when I encourage Berry to do his work, he says, "I don't want to work." My usual reply is that since he's at school anyways, he should try his best and learn something. The standoff continues, but I think parents need to be called in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment